Thursday, March 8, 2007

GEAR

Today was a day for GEAR. Like any red blooded American backpacker, I have a passion for outdoorsy gear, and today I got to get rid of the monkey on my back (or at least beat him into submission for a while with a trekking pole). Here's what I picked up from my Mecca (Eastern Mountain Sports in Manchester)

  • EMS Thunderhead nylon shell with pit zips and a rather nifty brimmed hood. Always important to keep style in mind while on the trail.
  • An EMS pro-stretch middle layer microfleece that I essentially fell into romantic love with the instant I saw/touched it.
  • A replacement filter for my PUR Hiker, because I have developed a taste for non-infected water.
  • A coolmax sleeping bag liner to keep some of the funk out of the brand new Mountain Hardwear Lamina 15 degree synthetic mummy bag I got for half off at www.steepandcheap.com!
  • Three pairs of smartwool midcalf socks
  • A shiny new bottle of DWR (durable water repellant) to spray all over every flat surface I can get my hands on.
  • Zipaway pants that, unlike my previous pair, "zip away" into a reasonable pair of shorts instead of hotpants.
This should be my last significant purchase before my Start Date, which has also been confirmed at April 2. I bought an overnight Amtrak ticket, I leave Hartford the morning of Saturday March 31 and get to Gainesville, GA Sunday morning. I am staying at Amicalola State Park in Georgia Sunday night, and hopefully getting an early start Monday morning!!

For posterity's sake, as long as I'm talking gear, here's the remainder of my gear list.

  • Camp Trails wilderness external frame pack. Approximately 2.5 million cubic inches. Not for the faint of heart.
  • EMS Thunderlite II two person backpacking tent. Like the aquaducts, full of arch-ly goodness. Also like the aquaducts, carries water. Hopefully far, far away from my sleeping self.
  • Asolo TPS 520 trekking boots. Some people hike the AT in light boots, or even sneakers, but I have a dangerous combination of loose ligaments in my ankles and incurable clumsiness that can lead to sprained ankles. These full shank leather boots are pretty much foot fortresses.
  • A homemade, alcohol burning "penny stove" (see earlier post)
  • EMS trekking poles
  • Camelback UnBottle
  • various other... things
I'll admit it. I've lost interest in this list (probably as much as you've lost interest in reading it)

THREE WEEKS FROM SATURDAY
AHHHHHHHHHHH


Stay tuned.

1 comment:

Ms. Transient said...

Ok, so I finally read it. AND I'M SO EXCITED that you're going, and kind of mad that I'm not.

As to cameras, I have a Canon (powershot?) that is kind of bulky, but battery operated. Though, it's probably better for you to get a 35mm so you can just mail off the film. Good luck finding one, haha.