Wednesday, February 21, 2007

The wait continues...

Less than 6 weeks until I hop a flight to Atlanta, point myself North and see what happens!

Keeping plenty busy back home until then, working on the new (ancient) house and getting my preparations for the trail squared away.

Progress on the former is slow and steady as usual... Rough electric and plumbing are in, central vac set up, and almost ready for a final inspection before sheetrocking. I hope to get the sheetrock entirely done before leaving for my hike, that would be a pretty huge milestone.

Visited my darling eldest sister Jess in New York City last weekend. While it was a blast (as always), even 48 hours in the Big City serves to remind me of how much I prefer the great outdoors to the concrete jungle. The pangs of vertigo I got eating breakfast on the 53rd floor of Jess's building are just another gentle reminder that I am a country mouse at heart.

Just scheduled a visit down to my alma mater, American U in Washington DC, to visit my friends from school (whom I am so rudely abandoning for 2 semesters to play in the woods!).

In Trail news: I am now in the process of getting my final pack assembled. I recently spent some time making sure my trusty old Camp Trails external frame pack is dialed in and properly adjusted, and gathering up my gear from all corners of the house.

Next step: a little shopping to fill in some of the gaps on my gear list. Most importantly:
A new sleeping bag (I have decided to switch from down to synthetic)
A new 3/4 length thermarest (the old pad I got at EMS has developed yet another leak. It served pretty well for a few years, but just hasn't stood up to abuse like the thermarest can)

Also, considering a digital camera... although it is a big investment! Any guidance on this one would be appreciated

Best
Rob

No comments: